With the introduction of the Editor pane, Word changed the look of Spellcheck. But you can still access the classic Spellcheck interface by adding it to the Quick Access Toolbar! You can see that at the very top of the image above.
After the first step, the instructions below are the same for both Mac and Windows computers. Follow the steps below or watch the demo video beneath them.
- Look at the right side of the QAT icons above the ribbons in the Word window:
[Mac users] Click the little three-dot kabob menu and select More Commands…
[Windows users] Click the little down arrow and select Customize Toolbars and Menus…
- Click the QAT tab at the top of the window that opens.
- Find the function you want to add in the list on the left of the window:
- Click the field on top of the left side list.
- Select Commands not in the ribbon from that list.
- Scroll to find Spelling in that list, then select it.
- Click the right arrow between the two lists to move the command to the right-side list.
- Click Save or Ok to set these revisions. (If you’re on a Mac, close the Preferences window too.)
Look for the new icon on the QAT. Do you see the ABC✔️? Try it now!
To learn more about Word’s new Editor pane and how to use Spellcheck within that, see this earlier post. Also see the troubleshooting tips below the video demo.
(Thanks to everyone who submitted questions using the Q&A field at the bottom of the page!)
The QAT is the very top border of the Word window, above the ribbon. In the image at the top of this post, the spelling icon on the QAT is circled.
There are several functions labelled “spelling” in the list of commands. Be sure to select the one that says only “Spelling” and is found in the list of “Commands not in the ribbon.”
Windows users should follow the Windows directions above. As mentioned, they’ll see a down arrow on the QAT, not a kabob.
Got a gnarly Word problem? Submit your problem and we’ll try to answer it in the Q&A thread.
Learn with us! Join a course today.
© This blog and all materials in it are copyright Adrienne Montgomerie on the date of publication. All rights reserved. No portion may be stored or distributed without express written permission. Asking is easy!